Monday, August 3, 2009

Backyard experiment


What we are doing-

I am a wife and mother living in an older suburban Metro Atlanta neighborhood.
About two years ago, after being laid off, I redefined my 10 year goal. After reading an article in a magazine about a small restaurant in England that was almost completely self sustaining, I knew that was what I wanted to do. While our family has had vegetable gardens in the past, this year we decided to start playing around with ideas and concepts we might use on a farm.

My thinking was if we try it on a small scale, any mistakes we make will be on a small scale too. In early February, we attended a local bee school, for beginner bee keepers. In March, we brought home 12 chicks. In April, we installed 2 bee hives. This is definitely a learning adventure.

I should add I'm pretty lazy and frugal. Anytime I don't want to go to the store, I try to find alternate ways of getting what I need.

Many of our friends and family have suggested we write about our small homestead effort. So here we are.

I hope others will be inspired by our efforts and share their own.
We are not extraordinarily talented, just curious enough to try things out.
We look forward to feedback from our readers about their own experiences.